What is WordPress?
WordPress is open source software that powers more than 30% of the web. It was initially a blogging system, but grew to being also a CMS (Content Management System) and even application software. WordPress can be freely used due to the GPL license: anyone in the world can both work with and on it (or whichever you like).
What is a WordPress Meetup?
Anyone who works with and/or on WordPress (or is planning to, or just likes to know more) is welcome. A meetup is a gettogether of two or more of them, mostly without an income fee.
Meetup groups are locally-organized groups that get together for face-to-face events on a regular basis (commonly once a month).wp.org definition
Anything that brings together 2 or more people to share their WordPress experiences counts — there’s no minimum number of attendees or required format.
These events (commonly referred to as meetups, which can be confusing since people often use the same word to describe the group itself) take many formats:
- presentations/lecture series,
- social gatherings,
- running a WordPress help desk,
- contributor sprints/drives,
- and others.
If you have an idea for a meetup, want to share a case or give a presentation: get in touch with the organiser(s) of your local meetup group. You can contact the organizers via meetup.com.
If there’s no local meetup group in your region: you can start one! Check the info on the WordPress chapter program to start a group, and/or get in touch with other organizers via our Belgium Slack team.
Can anyone attend a Meetup?
Of course! Are you working/planning to work with WordPress or just like to know more: join your local group on meetup.com, RSVP and be there. WordPress users, designers, developers, marketeers, SEO specialists, bloggers, … Everyone is welcome, from beginner to advanced.
If you have RSVP’d and yet you can’t attend, please un-RSVP at meetup.com.
One note: please do mind the few good faith rules, designed to make sure meetups stay open gatherings, to meet, share and learn:
A few good-faith rules
Als meetup groep hanteren we ook de ‘few good-faith rules’ die binnen de WordPress community gelden voor zowat alle meetups, en zeker voor de groepen die in het chapter-program van de WordPress Foundation zitten:
- WordPress Meetups are for the benefit of the WordPress community as a whole, not specific businesses or individuals. All actions taken as an event organizer are with the best interest of the community in mind.
- Membership in the local meetup group is open to all who wish to join, regardless of ability, skill, financial status or any other criteria.
- Meetups are volunteer-run with volunteer speakers. In cases where a modest attendance fee might be necessary, this fee should only cover the costs of the meetup and shouldn’t be used to pay speakers or organizers.
- Meetup groups allow events to be organized by any reliable/trusted member of the community.
- Meetups are welcoming places where everyone works to foster an accepting environment which is free of discrimination, incitement to violence, promotion of hate, and general jerk-like behavior.
What does the WordPress Community do?
People across the globe who uses WordPress in their lives come together.
We have a couple of active WordPress Meetups in Belgium (
And apart from the meetups themselves, the Antwerp group has already
Want to know more? Join our Slack channel or sign up on the respective Meetup.com page linked here: