“Where do I start?”, “Where do I go next?”
Questions we often hear at meetups, WordCamps or people passing/mailing/tweeting by.
This blogpost is an attempt to provide a starting point, or to help you find the ‘next step’ or the ‘next guide’. The list contains handy learning resources and tips for both web in general and more specific for WordPress.
A thank you to Tom Hermans, Frank Goossens, Veerle Verbert, Jeroen Rotty, Pascal Casier and many others for adding tips!
Table of contents
- Ad hoc resources (quick issue-help) & resources of projects
- Meeting peers (meetup, conferences, ..)
- Video resources (not explicitly courses)
- Blogs etc (personal)
- Blogs etc (non-personal)
- Paid/free courses (online)
- Paid/free courses (offline)
- Looking for motivation?
Ad hoc resources
Resources for quick help with issues & help/documentation resources of projects.
- source code (potentially of all open source software, it remains the best documentation and learning resource for coders)
full code reference + handbooks for theme, plugin development etc
- Google 🙂
- slack teams:
- facebook groups:
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/wordpressspeedup for performance optimization
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/internet.questions for wordpress/ SEO
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/dtv.wordpress/ (NL)
- https://nl.wordpress.org/support/ – the Dutch wordpress.org support forums
- https://wordpress.org/support/ for the global (EN) support forums
Meeting peers (meetup, conferences, ..)
- ad hoc informal events that may happen in your area: twunch, barcamp, twooze, brown bag lunches (in a bar or at an agency), ..
- events from your local graduate schools or universities
- Other conferences
- Start from https://make.wordpress.org/ to know about the .org teams (and maybe jump in)
- “Good first bugs”: https://core.trac.wordpress.org/tickets/good-first-bugs
- Keep an eye on your local meetup groups: they might organise a contribution meetup. WordCamps often also have a contributor day.
Video resources (not explicitly courses)
- https://www.youtube.com/wordpress (alternative for WordPress.tv, synced)
- Video’s of other conferences:
Blogs etc (personal)
Including personal blogs, twitter accounts, twitter lists etc.
Blogs etc (non-personal)
tool tip: pocket.io, helps you organise your reading list.
- https://www.sitepoint.com/ (also newsletters like Versioning)
- RSS-feeds of blogs: http://wp-info.org/wp-rss-feeds/
- SitePoint (publisher)
- O’Reilly (publisher)
- A Book Apart (publisher, small practical books)
- Professional WordPress Design & Development (Brad Williams)
- Atomic Design (Brad Frost)
- WordPress Weekly
- kitchensinkWP (weekly 15min)
- Matt Report
- BobWP (WP & e-commerce)
- Poststatus (but less active now)
General web & tech podcasts:
Paid/free courses (online)
- Lynda.com is now LinkedIn Learning
- Yoast Academy
Paid/free courses (offline)
- workshops fronteers
- talks/workshops at WordCamps
- talks/workshops at meetups
- higher education: full bachelor/master programs, post-bachelor programs, single courses out of an existing program (sometimes possible), extracurricular programs open for non-regular-students, ..
- Training lessons from the WP Training Team: https://github.com/wptrainingteam
Looking for motivation?
- propose a lightning talk (or longer) at your meetup group: pick a topic, learn & experiment and go out to share your newly gathered knowledge! (pick a reasonable date & then you have a deadline so you don’t procrastinate 😉
- find a partner or mentor (ask around at your meetup group if anyone is interested)